Monday, February 4, 2013

DmC: Devil May Cry, from someone new to the series

Alright! I finally have a day to get around to this post! Originally when I wanted to post this, I had an AWFUL flu, and while I was playing DmC while under it, everything was... well... more messed up than it should have been. But more on that; I have since finished the game with my boyfriend (I have yet to do it on my own personal PS3 here at home, but since I know the context for everything now, I'm just going to go ahead and get this all out of the way! So here are my thoughts on Ninja Theory's DmC: Devil May Cry, from the point of view of someone who has never, ever played a game in this franchise prior.

So, as stated before, I was under the effects of a serious flu that prevented me from very much cognitive action. I sat on a couch for four and a half days straight, wrapped in a blanket and having a hard time eating. Before succumbing to the full effects of the flu, I had managed to pick up DmC: Devil May Cry from my favourite EB Games, which is actually a little far from my house (so I had to maneuver my way from downtown where my school is, to the next zone to get the game, and then bus all the way home... it was not fun, to say the least). But eager all the same, I popped the game in and started playing.

I was going into this game blind for two reasons: I had never played the DmC franchise due to never owning a PS system prior to my PS3, and two I purposely did not play the demo because I love to figure games out by themselves, mostly. The game's intro was spinning (at least, for me, what with that gross flu all up in my head) and... raunchy! I was kind of off put at first, but I was also fairly amused... and worried because my mother was sitting next to me on the couch and ... yeah I had no idea it was going to start off that way. Regardless, I barrelled on, excited and getting amped with the music (which is not typically my thing, but damn did it make that game freaking awesome!)

At first, I was a little off put by the combat system. Although I had seen some friends in the past playing, trying to get their letter rating up to SSSensational, etc, I was still flustered by it. Looking back, I think I had a hard time simply because I had a hard time keeping my head up.... but I eventually started to get the hang of things. The fast-paced, keep-your-combo-going stuff grew on me and I started getting competitive with MYSELF to try and best each new fight with a new score. Unlocking the first demon & angel weapons was a treat, too. Although, I have to admit, my hand did cramp a few times trying to hold down my R2/L2 to lay down long combos/switching incessantly to keep it fresh for my score. Despite that though, once I had picked up the general idea of the combat system, I started to have a lot of fun and started to forget how sick I was, so that was nice.

Story wise, I was hooked. I wanted to know more about Dante and The Order, and I wanted him to keep fighting for this cause. I started to feel more and more attached to the characters, and wanted to know more about them. Their anecdotes in cutscenes, too, were always appreciated. ("My dick is bigger.") At the end of the game (no spoilers, I promise!) I was dumfounded! When was my second game coming?! Despite NT taking over, and this being a reboot, I could see why older fans of the series were so attached to the games.

Graphically, I felt that the game was almost a little too shiny, but I was still captivated by it. A lot of my scores were effected by long times, because I spent long periods wandering, trying to find lost souls, examining the structures in limbo or buildings in general. I felt some things were a little unpolished, but nonetheless, I was inspired by how beautifully wrought each mission was.

All in all, I feel like Ninja Theory got me hooked on the DmC franchise! I can't wait until the next instalment of the reboot finally goes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment