Sunday, January 6, 2013

My Engineer Build

In this post, I wanted to highlight the build I'm using for my Engineer (PVE spec, but I tend not to change for WvW depending on how my party rolls). Unfortunately, it's still a work in progress because as a non-crafter, I have to find my gear or farm for it... or beg my guildies haha. However, I can at least say that my armour itself is completed... my accessories, on the other hand, definitely need some work. 

Overview shot of my Engineer's Hero screen. For anyone's curiosity, the dyes I'm using are Celestial, Abyss, and Icing.
 When I realized how much I actually enjoyed the Grenade kit, I started to use it more frequently. Originally, I thought that a Power build might be better, until I realized how much DOT (damage over time) I could do with my conditions, and how I would be more helpful in party situations. When I asked for suggestions, my guildmates suggested Twilight Arbour, and I did not disagree.

My full stack of TA armour, and my transmuted helmet because the headpiece for TA is  ugly and I'm a very aesthetic player. 
Although I didn't realize it at first, I feel like the TA set (or any Precision/Toughness/Condition DMG armour set) is crucial for this kind of build, especially if you feel like there is a slack to pick up for due to the last update the Engineer's dealt with. I find that players who complain about this change the most, however, are people who don't have 30 traits into the Grenadier line (more on my traits after). To pick up some of the slack from the update, my guildmate helped me pick out some pistols and runes that, after using them, have really helped. 
They were originally "Dragonshot" pistols, but I transmuted them  to Lionguard skins until I find another skin I like more.
 On my main hand, I have the Superior Sigil of Earth, which has a 60% chance to cause bleeding on critical. Some might argue that the chance isn't high enough to bother with this sigil, and even though I only have a 43% crit rate, but it's also good to remember that sigils now affect the grenade kits, hence the "nerf"... and thus why those who are complaining should learn to adapt to the changes. My offhand has the Superior Sigil of Corruption, which gives me +10 CD each time I kill an enemy, and stacks to 25 = 250CD! I find it's easy to stack this while running fractals or WvW, so combined with my other sigil, my damage has barely suffered at all from the "nerf". In fact, I feel like I have benefited from the update, because it forced me to learn more about weapons and my class, and get out of my comfort zone.

As for my accessories, they could use a bit of an upgrade.

My only exotic piece is the Karka shell...
 I'm not really sure what I should do with these quite yet... but I think I'll have to look into some more accessories that cater to Precision + Vitality.  As for my skills, this is what my skill bar looks like (below)


I use my Healing Turret, which I burst immediately after setting up for an area heal/regeneration for my allies (I've noticed some positive feedback from this, which is nice). My number seven Elixir changes frequently. Sometimes I put up the Elixir Gun for WvW, other times I'll switch the Elixir to another for removal, etc. To be honest, however, I don't use it that often unless I'm in WvW and I'm using an Elixir gun.
Eight and Nine are naturally my heavy hitters. Bomb Kit/Big ol' Bomb is especially good when we have a Guardian with pull, or when I'm kiting for my party; nine is my standard "lay waste and watch them burn" skill. My ulti is my Mistfire Wolf, typically because it does quite a bit of damage, or is a good distraction tool. Sometimes I'll use a supply drop, but not often.


My trait lines! They are as follows:
Explosives: 30 Points
Adept: Skill III "Forceful Explosives" Bombs & mines have a larger explosion radius. 
Master: Skill VIII "Short Fuse" Reduces recharge for bombs and grenades by 20%. Grandmaster: Skill XI "Grenadier" You throw 25% farther, and you throw an extra grenade with every grenade kit skill.

Firearms: 30 points
Adept: Skill VI "Hair Trigger" Rifle, pistol, and harpoon gun skills recharge 20% faster. Master: Skill V "Precise Sights" 50% chance to cause vulnerability on critical hits. Grandmaster: Skill XI "Coated Bullets" Pistol shots pierce. 

Inventions: 10 points
Adept: Skill II "Explosive Descent" Release a barrage of grenades when you take falling damage. You take 50% less damage from falling. 

I haven't tweaked my skills in quite some time, as I find they've been fairly helpful for the most part, but I do enjoy reviewing them. The additional damage received from these lines is also fairly helpful.

For the most part, I'm most concerned about my accessories, but I've become fairly comfortable with everything else. Hopefully I can update this post when I find a more reasonable set of accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment